Can You Go to Jail for Not Paying RITA

Can You Go to Jail for Not Paying RITA?

Are you not paying RITA? Are you facing other back taxes, local tax penalties, or unfiled income taxes with your local municipality? The team at Ken-Mar Tax understands the stress and confusion that can come with these situations. We specialize in providing RITA tax relief and resolving local tax issues with organizations like RITA, CCA, and your local city government.

Not Paying RITA? RITA Penalties and CCA Cleveland Collections

Receiving letters from organizations like RITA and CCA threatening late fees and garnished wages for taxes you've already paid can be daunting. It's important to understand that some municipalities, such as Cleveland, require citizens to pay local taxes for services like garbage collection. These taxes are often collected by agencies like RITA or CCA, which also have the authority to penalize taxpayers for non-compliance. This can result in late fees and wage garnishments. Ken-Mar Tax works with many taxpayers to navigate these penalties and provide RITA tax relief.

Can RITA Garnish Wages?

A common concern is whether RITA can garnish wages. The short answer is yes, but it's crucial to address the issue before it escalates to that point. RITA will only garnish wages after a judgment has been reached, which occurs when the court determines the debt is valid. This judgment grants municipalities the right to garnish wages, and because RITA collects on their behalf, they can then take action to garnish wages, attach bank accounts, or file liens against property.

The Civil Nature of Tax Issues: You Can Not Go to Jail for Not Paying RITA

Many individuals worry about the consequences of not addressing their local tax issues, including the possibility of arrest warrants. However, it's essential to note that these matters are civil, not criminal. Failing to attend a RITA hearing will NOT result in an arrest warrant. Instead, it's crucial to take proactive steps to resolve tax issues and avoid potential penalties. And honestly, RITA is a collection agency - although they are aggressive, we have decades of experience and contacts at the office and are happy to resolve your back tax issues - without jail time!

If you're facing challenges with RITA or other local tax agencies, don't hesitate to reach out to Ken-Mar Tax for assistance. We offer free consultations to discuss your federal, state, or local income tax concerns and provide personalized tax relief solutions. Contact us today at (440) 777-2207 or complete our Contact Us form to schedule your consultation and take control of your tax situation.

Small Business Tax Services

As an expert in small business tax services and tax consulting Ken-Mar Tax eats, sleeps and breathes small business tax strategies.  Being an enrolled agent allows founder, Ken Weinberg, to represent you to the IRS - something only a CPA, tax attorney and Enrolled Agent can do. EAs are the only federally licensed tax practitioners who specialize in taxation and also have unlimited rights to represent taxpayers before the IRS. It also means he is continuously being updated on the new IRS tax codes and taking classes from the IRS that provide guidance on how to file returns so that they are not "flagged."

When you get your taxes prepared by Ken Mar Tax you also have the option to purchase the Tax Audit Protection Plan to avoid the extra costs of paying for audit representation. If you are audited by the IRS, State of Ohio or local taxing authorities, Ken-Mar Tax will meet with the taxing authorities on your behalf to negotiate a settlement for you. The fee covers all costs up to the Appeals level, including up to 15 hours of correspondence with the auditing party – either the IRS, State of Ohio or locality.

Scroll to top